Comforting Coconut rice porridge
Oatmeal, toast, smoothies… when you think of a typical breakfast, chances are a bowl of rice doesn’t come to mind. But since rice is full of healthy carbs, easy to digest, and unrefined, it actually makes a perfect morning meal giving you energy without weighing you down.
Rice porridge is used in the Ayurvedic tradition to balance the system during the winter; the sweet cinnamon helps digestion and the warmth of the rice and milk protects against and wintery cold.
There is nothing more nourishing to my mind than milk and rice together – the ultimate in comfort food.
½ cup rice
1 ½ cups water
½ cup coconut milk
Sweetener to taste (dates, honey ect)
- Add rice and 1 cup water in a pan and bring to the boil
- Cover and let cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat
- Add ½ cup coconut milk, pinch of salt and sweetener to taste. Mix together and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Top with cinnamon and optional toppings (berries ect)
- Promotes strong digestion
- Relieves inflammation
- Nourishes the immune system
- Reduces high cholesterol